04 February 2008

Willing Suspension of Disbelief

I'm no good at the willing suspension of disbelief in movies. Shocking, I know.

I went to see the movie August Rush with some friends tonight. Afterwards The Very Nice Guy gushed about what a fantastic movie it is. This was his third viewing. He's going to buy the DVD. I smiled my I-Am-a-Ken-Doll smile and kept my mouth shut. Then someone else told me about her favorite, precious moments in the film. This is when I realized that I must find new friends immediately and that I had to get out of there right away before people started pulling out Care Bears, holding hands, and singing Disney tunes. Ausgust Rush is a schwarmy movie. And it's based on two people who meet for about five seconds, realize that they have some kind of magical, undeniable, fated connection, which leads to a one night stand. Urgh. One night stands are not romantic!

Even in movies where my eyes aren't already rolled into the back of my head, I have difficulty letting go of reality. When I saw Becoming Jane in the theater, there were girls behind me WEEPING when the romance started to end. Jane Austen never married! What did they expect?

And now that I've railed against silly people and their reality issues, I'm going to go read a stack of fiction books and update my imaginary boyfriend list.

11 comments:

Alice said...

It is times like these where I remember why we are friends! :)

JAMES said...

those people have smurfs in their pockets, I would say. Of course, I am overly emotional about lots of things also...sometimes...bleeding heart, some would say...

Chou said...

Have you seen Once? I think you'll find it refreshing. Although I am warning you that the first five minutes have a few nasty f-bombs. After that it's just a pleasure to watch.

I've joined in with the tagging masses and tagged you on balance today. Come play.

MBC said...

James--I'd say there's a difference between being emotional about something that actually deserves an emotional response (even when presented fictionally)--truth, beauty, kindness, a just cause, really excellent cheese--and schlock. You know?

Anonymous said...

I'm so disturbed by the overly perky right now.

Cheerfulness (not the natural kind, but the forced, fake smile, super-high giggle, super-optimistic type) is HIGHLY overrated.

And by the way (this has nothing to do with August Rush, Jane Eyre, or anything on the blog, but now that I'm venting, I can't stop!):
Did I miss the memo where belonging to a certain political party was a prerequisite for belonging to a certain religion? I find it extremely naive to assume it's OK to bash certain political candidates and everyone will be cool with that.

Sorry. Maybe I should get my own blog and stop harassing yours.

Anonymous said...

I wrote Jane Eyre, I meant Jane Austen. Sorry, it's been a "mix up your Janes" kind of day.

Annie M. said...

Yeah, it's like the people who thought that "God's Army" was like totally like the best movie ever and oh so spiritual. Oh, and "Legacy" too. Remember- "If we ever meet again it will be Zion to me!" *weep weep!* Excuse me while I go vomit now.

MBC said...

Ah, yes, Emily. Happy Super Tuesday to you. I could you tell a really excellent, rage-inducing story on this topic, but I'm going to resist, because it will just make me angry.

Anonymous said...

Someone gave me a book to read and said it was the best, most romantic book ever. I read it and wondered how it even got published, it was so formulaic and cheesy. Same with "Message in a Bottle." It was just stupid and unrealistic. Maybe it's genetic. Love, Mom

MBC said...

I'm glad you gave me the good, unsusceptible to drivel genes, Mom.

Kirsten said...

MBC, I saw this movie during Christmas with my sister and the reason we say it was because we wanted to watch National Treasure 2 with terrible actor Nicholas Cage even less.

The only highlight...the accents of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and the guy who played his brother.

I'll refrain from going political on your blog MBC, but Emily, I am totally down with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...